I am rewriting a short unit for Year 7 on fractions. Here is the draft of the first activity:
I’m trying to get students to understand / appreciate a few things that I’m not sure our current students do:
1. That fractions don’t have to “come from the left”
2. That fractions can be a collection of segments
3. That fractions don’t have to go from one side of a shape to the other
4. That fractions don’t have to be rectangles and squares (shadings)
5. Fractions of shapes are areas, not specific shapes themselves.
I’m also using unusual or tilted shapes to try and get students to think more about how to do it, rather than passively slicing up a shape from left to right.